10 top records from world-famous Beat Junkie DJ Babu
DJ Babu, part of the World Famous Beat Junkies and Dilated Peoples, shares his top ten records, a list that tells the story of his maturation as a kid in Oxnard to a world-class, international DJ.
by David Ma
“Up until I was eight or nine, I was bouncing around a lot, all the time as a kid. I was born in Maryland and lived in Jacksonville then moved all over the U.S.,” explains Chris Oroc, widely known as DJ Babu.
After constant relocation (due to his father’s naval service), Chris landed in Oxnard, California, in the early ’80s where his teenage years paralleled hip-hop’s booming rise. Now in his late thirties, the seasoned DJ has toured globally as part of the World Famous Beat Junkies and as one-third of Dilated Peoples, manning the tables as well as production.
Through eloquent routines, multiple ITF titles and Vestax championships followed. Other calculated efforts, like his famed juggle of “Blind Alley” by the Emotions, bolstered his rep in the ’90s. And Super Duck Breaks, an early DJ tool record he produced as the Turntablist, is amongst the most used—and beloved—in the field. Below are DJ Babu’s top ten records, a list that tells the story of his maturation as a kid in Oxnard to a world-class, international DJ.
- Marvin Gaye and band rehearses “I Want You”…
- DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist channel Afrika Bambaataa and take…
- Balnearico – The Sunny Side of Brazil’s Underground…
- Wax Poetics and WhoSampled present the Notorious BIG…
- Video of Tower Records on Sunset, Los Angeles, in 1971
- Three mixes of Marvin Gaye’s “I Want You”…
- Wu-Tang Clan’s GZA runs down every track off Liquid…
- Ferguson and the history of riots and protest
- André Cymone plays the records that changed his life
- Ed Motta drops AOR Mix 2 chock full of funky and rare tunes
Responses from Facebook
leave a response, or link from your own site.
Leave a Response