Sofrito Super Discoteca
Mix CD and T-shirt brought to you by 101 Apparel
“The Sofrito Super Discoteca mix reflects the disco-fied end of the Sofrito musical spectrum, drawing together vintage tracks from across the Tropics, re-editing, splicing and chopping them into a dancefloor-friendly package,” says Sofrito member Hugo Mendez. “It’s not just about straight disco sounds but also heavy bass-line highlife, soukous, and cadence—shining a light on styles that don’t always get the props they deserve. The mix reflects stone-cold classics, raw rhythm tracks and psychedelic experiments from over the past thirty years, all brought together for dancefloors and warehouses from London to Paris, New York to Bogota.”
Sofrito teams up with 101 Apparel for an exclusive T-shirt and DJ mix, available now.
Sofrito is a collective of DJs, producers and artists that combine a love for Tropical rhythms with a firm basis in modern club culture. Rooted in the legendary Tropical Warehouse Parties in East London, Sofrito mixes up vintage sounds from across the tropics with modern productions and exclusive dubplate specials, bridging the gap between eras and continents to produce a unique and intense sound that has seen them play at clubs and festivals across the world.
The Sofrito label covers everything from Nigerian acid boogie to raw Gwo Ka rhythms, futuristic sounds from new European producers and heavy Latin vibes from the Pacific coast of Colombia.
Paris-based Hugo Mendez has traveled extensively in order to produce groundbreaking compilations for labels such as Strut, Soundway, Jazzman, and Nascente and DJs regularly across Europe.
Hackney-based Frankie Francis runs the Carvery mastering and dubplate cutting studios, working on vinyl retrieval and mastering for labels such as Strut, Sir Collin’s Music Wheel, NYC Trust, Superfly and many more, as well as cutting dubs for the cream of the reggae and Tropical DJs in the U.K.
Illustrator and Designer Lewis Heriz works with labels such as Stones Throw, Now Again and Soundway, producing exceptional artwork using a variety of media.
- Marvin Gaye and band rehearses “I Want You”…
- DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist channel Afrika Bambaataa and take…
- Balnearico – The Sunny Side of Brazil’s Underground…
- Wax Poetics and WhoSampled present the Notorious BIG…
- Three mixes of Marvin Gaye’s “I Want You”…
- Video of Tower Records on Sunset, Los Angeles, in 1971
- André Cymone plays the records that changed his life
- Father of beatdigging and hip-hop itself Afrika Bambaataa…
- Keyboardist and Crusader Joe Sample left a major legacy of…
- Ed Motta drops AOR Mix 2 chock full of funky and rare tunes
Responses from Facebook
leave a response, or link from your own site.
Leave a Response